If a payment has been incorrectly allocated to a customer or supplier invoice, you can simply remove the payment and proceed with allocating the correct payment to the correct invoice.
To Cancel a payment you need the following rights under Customer Invoices and /or Supplier Invoices:
- Change posted invoices
- Register and post payments
To cancel a payment:
- Go to the payments section in the invoice footer. Click on the three dots at the end of the row and then on Cancel Payment.
- A modal informs you of what will happen when you cancel the payment. Click on Continue to proceed with the cancellation.
- The following happens automatically:
- The payment is removed from the Invoice.
- All the rows of the payment journal are crossed out.
- The invoice status is reverted to unpaid or part paid.
- If applicable, the journal is removed from the bank statement and the transaction returned to the process transaction list.
- The payment cancellation is noted on the invoice history and in the activity log. See below
Note: When you cancel a payment, the full payment must always be cancelled. So if for example, a payment has been allocated to two invoices (one correctly and one incorrectly), both payments will be cancelled. A notification will warn you of this.
A cancelled payment is removed from the invoice but can be still be tracked.
- The cancellation itself is noted in the Invoice History. see below.
- If you need to know the journal number go to the activity log using the link provided in the invoice. see below. This will present you the log for all he events for this invoice.
- Two categories have been created in the log to track cancelled payments. See below the program an subsystem to select:
- Use any report that shows cancelled rows to check for cancelled payments. See Reports below.
- The cancelled payment journal still has the link to the invoice.
- To make tracking easier you can also make a comment on the journal as well as in the supplier invoice. On a customer invoice you can use the internal notes field. See below.
The cancelled payment journal
The cancelled payment journal has all its rows crossed over and the word "cancelled" is inserted in the journal description so they are easy to locate in the journal list. For example you can sort on the description column.
Cancelled payments will appear in reports when you choose to view cancelled rows
This option also available in the follwing reports:
- The general ledger
- The account analysis report
- The journal list
- The customer subledger report
- The supplier subledger report